Is Bridges for You?
Are you eager to learn?
Do you want a mentor along the way?
If so, our program may be for you!
What is Bridges?
If you are 17-24 and live in a Bridges city, we can help you prepare for and find a job that matches your interests and abilities. We teach you the skills to succeed and then match you with a paying job.
Who can be part of Bridges?
Bridges serves young adults who:
- Are between 17-24 years old
- Have an IEP, 504 Plan, or other such documentation (such as a letter from your doctor or school)
- Provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Can get to and from work independently
What is Bridges looking for?
Great question! We are seeking those who:
- Really want to work
- Have a positive attitude
- Commit to meeting the expectations of Bridges and your employer
- Want to do well every day
- Have potential to work independently
How soon can I enroll in Bridges?
You can enroll in your last year of high school or after you’ve graduated. Each city has different program eligibility requirements, so check with your local Bridges office to find out more about what’s required.
What kind of help does Bridges provide? Or What can Bridges do for me?
Bridges will match you with a job that fits your strengths and what you like to do. We will help you:
- Set goals, recognize your strengths, and identify career aspirations
- Consider career options, search for jobs, meet employers, complete applications, prepare résumés, learn to interview, and understand the norms of the workplace
- Coach you on- and off-the-job, in person, by phone, email, and text message
- Celebrate with you as you reach employment benchmarks at three months, six months, nine months, and 12 months
What kind of job can I get?
We try to match you to jobs ideal for your interests and abilities. Bridges participants work in many different companies, small and large. Industries vary, including retail, restaurants, offices, hospitals, hotels, warehouses, and distribution centers. Most places ask that you work at least 15 hours a week, though you can work more. We will help you find the right fit. Some youth, especially if not in school, can and do work full-time.
Can I make money?
Yes! We believe the best way to learn about work is through a real job. You will bring home a paycheck when you get a job through Bridges.
How long does the program last?
Program length varies based on your needs. Once you are hired, we will help you retain employment for up to six months. After six months of employment, we remain in contact with you and track your progress on the job for up to a full year.
Do I have to pay for Bridges?
No, Bridges is free to program participants.
Do I have to apply to the program?
Yes. You do have to apply for the program, but we can help. This link will show you our program locations around the country and you can fill out this form if you’re interested in applying for the program. Contact the office that is closest to where you live to get started. Not sure what office to speak to? Click here to connect with someone who can help.